Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Back to School College Survival Kit, Part One


It took me a while to figure out what was essential when coming to college. For example, no one needs five shower curtains. No one. And, if you can fit your drawers into your closet, you’ll have a nice giant space in your room for bookshelves, or the like.

This year will be a little different. We’re on the second floor, so there’s two doors into the main room, and we have a personal balcony. This, I am excited about. Not so excited, however, at having people above us AND below us. Not only do we need to be careful about noise for those below, but whoever’s living above… I just hope they have an early bedtime.

These are items that I have found I just can’t live without in the dorm environment.

  1. Command Clips (I use these EVERYWHERE.)

2. Personal bowls (I like mine smaller: ice-cream dishes, soup bowls, etc.) and mugs

3. An uber-comfy hoody (because even though it’s 100+ outside, it’s cold inside

4. Printer (saves you mooooola)

5. Stapler (always need it, never have it)

6. Hot glue gun (you will be everyone’s best friend when it comes time to hang posters)

7. Stuffed Animal (Yes, I know, I’m 20 years old and still need one of these. But there’s nothing like having something to hug when you’re upset and your friends and family are miles away)

8. World Map (great decoration, goes with anything. Also, helpful for geography)

9. Laptop (obvious)

10. Moleskines (Great for class notes. I love them because they’re so tiny; just pop ‘em into my purse and I’m ready to take notes)

Of course, there’s more, but it’s a start. J


No comments:

Post a Comment